A Mediterranean cruise should be on your short list of next vacations. Imagine beginning and ending in Rome and visiting Naples, Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca (Balearic Islands), Marseille (Provence), and La Spezia (Florence & Pisa) in between. What could be better? Doing it on Royal Caribbean’s gorgeous Harmony of the Seas. Below is everything you need to learn about the restrictions and protocols so you know how to sail on Harmony of the Seas from Rome in the Fall of 2021.
Shop: Exclusive deals on Royal Caribbean Mediterranean Cruises
How to sail on Harmony of the Seas in Sept/Oct 2021: VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS
- All guests age 18 years and older must present proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days before sailing.
- Guests younger than 18 years of age do not need to be vaccinated; however, if they are, they should bring their proof of vaccination to board and follow the testing guidance for fully vaccinated guests.
- Acceptable Proof of Vaccination
- Acceptable proof of vaccination must be in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by the country’s health authority or healthcare provider that administered the vaccination.
- The vaccination record submitted must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required dose(s) for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series) and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before arriving at their cruise departure terminal in Rome.
- Acceptable Proof of Vaccination
How to Sail on Harmony of the Seas in Sept/Oct 2021: TESTING & ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Travel Guidance To Enter Italy & Ports Of Call
- It is important to review the travel guidance issued by the countries that guests are visiting prior to travel. For more information, please check the following websites:
Before Travelling To Italy
- All international guests are advised to review the latest travel guidance issued by the Government of Italy.
- Entry rules to Italy vary depending on what country guests are traveling from. Guests will be required to present proof of either vaccination, negative COVID_19 test result, or recovery certificate depending on their country of origin.
- Guests from some countries may be required to isolate upon their arrival into Italy, which may impact their travel plans. Guests impacted by this requirement should contact us to discuss options.
- Requirements change frequently so please review this information prior to travel https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html
- Guests of all ages entering Italy from other countries must complete the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form before traveling to Italy. This will generate a QR code, which should be presented to the airline and Border Police, if requested. A paper form can be completed if guests do not have an electronic device.
- Complete by using the following link. https://app.euplf.eu/#/
Boarding Day in Rome
- All guests age 2 years and older must take a complimentary rapid antigen test at the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia, Rome and receive a negative result in order to sail. Registration instructions will be emailed in advance – approximately 14-18 days before the sail date.
During the Cruise
- All unvaccinated guests aged between 12 -17, must take a complimentary rapid antigen test towards the middle of the cruise. Additional details will be provided onboard.
Before Returning Home
- Guests are not required to take a COVID-19 test to disembark the cruise. Guests may need to take a COVID-19 test to meet the requirements of their destination country following the cruise. If needed, a complimentary onboard COVID-19 test can be arranged for anyone that should require it to re-enter their country of residence.
- Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.
How to Sail on Harmony of the Seas in Sept/Oct 2021: TRAVEL DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST
Guests sailing from Rome, Italy will need to have the following documents when arriving to board the ship.
- Health Questionnaire: To be completed the day before boarding.
- Proof of Vaccination: Royal Caribbean requires guests age 18 years and older to be fully vaccinated. Upon arrival at the port, vaccinated guests must display proof of vaccination. Acceptable proof of vaccination must be in the form of the original vaccination record issued by the country’s health authority or healthcare provider that administered the vaccination. The vaccination record submitted must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required dose(s) for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series) at least 14 days prior to sailing.
- Antigen Test Result: All guests age 2 years and older— including those who have been vaccinated — will need to take a complimentary antigen test upon arrival at the port and present the negative test result.
- Passport: Guests of all ages must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the last day of the cruise.
- Visa: All guests must ensure they check their visa requirements for entering Italy and the ports of call included on the itinerary.
- EU Digital Passenger Locator Form: Guests of all ages entering Italy from other countries must complete the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form before travelling to Italy
How to sail on Harmony of the Seas: MANAGE EXPECTATIONS
ONBOARD THE SHIP
- All guests 6 years and older must wear a mask in all indoor and outdoor public spaces, unless seated and actively eating, drinking, or sitting beside the pool.
- Masks are not required in one’s own stateroom, if are with his/her own travel party.
- Masks are not permitted in the pool or for any activity where they could become wet.
- At public ports of call, local mask guidelines apply
- The mask policy is evaluated continuously to ensure alignment with the latest health standards.
- For cruises departing from Italy, Royal Caribbean will conduct a daily guest and crew temperature check to comply with local and national guidelines.
- Reservations are recommended and can be made pre-cruise via Royal Caribbean’s Cruise Planner for meals at specialty restaurants, Main Dining Room, or Windjammer.
- Windjammer will be open for breakfast and lunch. Food will now be served by crew members to avoid guests sharing serving utensils.
- Venues will seat at a reduced capacity to allow for physical distancing.
AT PORTS OF CALL
- Traveling parties with unvaccinated guests (including parents traveling with unvaccinated children) that wish to go ashore must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean.
- Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit Royal Caribbean’s youth facilities onboard to learn about drop-off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port.
- Entirely vaccinated traveling parties may visit the port freely.
- Be sure to check out Royal Caribbean’s selection of curated shore excursions which can be purchased on Royal Caribbean’s Cruise Planner or onboard Harmony of the Seas.
- When going into port, please observe all local mask and physical distancing regulations in place. On shore excursions, the guide will advise when masks are needed.
Documentation for ports of call
- Guests must complete the following documents prior to arriving in each country, if wishing to debark
- France: Guests of all ages visiting France must complete a Statement of Honour form, please note that different forms are available depending on the country of origin
- Italy: Guests of all ages visiting Italy must complete the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form prior to every port of call in Italy .
How to sail on Harmony of the Seas in Sept/Oct 2021: PREPARING TO RETURN HOME
- Guests may need to take a COVID-19 test to re-enter their country of residence. If required, we will schedule complimentary re-entry testing at the end of the cruise. Additional details will be provided onboard.
- Most Governments that require a re-entry test require it to be conducted within 72 hours of travel. Cruise guests should plan to fly home within 24 hours of departing the ship, for the test result to be within the valid window.
EU Passenger Locator Form
- All guests may be required to complete a passenger locator form prior to debarking the cruise in Italy, Rome. Additional details will be provided onboard.
Need help planning your next getaway? Save time and money plus get exclusive perks! Use the contact form or call Joel (844-483-6669) for free, unbiased information, advice and assistance.
About the Author
Joel is a co-owner of JJ Travel Associates (a Dream Vacations franchise), blogger-in-chief at JoelKnowsTravel.com, lover of all things travel (especially UNESCO World Heritage Sites), wannabe comedian, and the person you should call if you're thinking of planning a vacation.